Chat with us, powered by LiveChat

International Tax Frequently Asked Questions: San Francisco International Tax Attorney

As a San Francisco-based individual or business, you absolutely recognize the value of the U.S. tax system. This article lays out some of the essentials of international tax through the common questions an attorney gets.

The responses provided in this write-up are not planned as legal recommendations. For legal recommendations as well as professional counsel, contact a reliable tax attorney as well as ask about your case-specific international tax concerns.

Do United States expatriates need to pay taxes?

This is a rather general concern to which the basic answer would be: yes. Still, even if we were to tighten the inquiry down, the response would mostly be affirmative, providing the term “expatriate” is recognized as a United States person living outside the USA. The U.S. tax obligation system makes up a system of worldwide taxation. So, the global income of U.S. persons that live and also work outside the U.S. goes through U.S. revenue tax obligation.

As a U.S. citizen, do I have to pay tax obligations on money earned abroad if I currently pay taxes in the foreign nation I live in?

As a United States citizen or resident alien, you have to file a United States tax return for your worldwide earnings. In order not to be based on U.S. income tax obligation, you have two choices:

  1. To renounce your United States citizenship
  2. To abandon your green card holder status

Do U.S. expats qualify for international earnings tax exclusions?

Yes, they could request the internationally earned earnings exclusion and/or a foreign tax credit to be asserted against their U.S. tax obligations. Not every expat will get this exclusion opportunity so it is essential to go over the specifics of your instance with a seasoned international tax attorney.

Is any one of my expenses tax-deductible if I work in a U.S. company abroad as a U.S. person?

Yes, although there are particular problems you have to overcome to qualify for the exclusion. For example, you can have a limited quantity of your earnings left out by claiming a real estate exemption or reduction. In order to get approved for a housing deduction, your tax obligation residence has to remain in the foreign country you reside in, and also you have to either be a bona fine resident of an international country (as well as an U.S. person), or continue to be outside of the US for 330 full days in a calendar year. To see if other problems apply, it’s best to call a trustworthy San Francisco tax attorney that is experienced and educated in international tax matters.

Exactly what is Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Program?

Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Program (OVDP) is an effort some U.S. taxpayers utilize to disclose unreported international earnings or unreported foreign assets. The OVDP is usually made use of to avoid the fines associated with tax evasion or any tax controversy.

Nevertheless, the Internal Revenue Service is ending the Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Program on September 28, 2018. It is still feasible to make an application for the OVDP, which is what many San Francisco taxpayers are doing.

Just what are the usual cross-border tax issues?

As a U.S.-based business that plans to offer services abroad, there are numerous concerns to take note of. As an example, discover tax obligation regulations in the nation you intend to do business in, try to find any international tax treaties the United States could have with that country, etc. A proficient attorney in cross-border tax concerns can be of assistance in dealing with all the issues correctly and drafting a strategy.

Do I require an international tax attorney?

The United States system of worldwide tax is complex and constantly being updated. Professional solutions of a reliable tax attorney are becoming more and more important, especially if you are associated with any type of tax obligation controversy.

Our referral is to pick an attorney that concentrates on the area you need aid with – OVDP, cross-border tax obligation, etc. However to start with, make inquiries. Brunoro Law gives free one-hour consultations that do not create attorney-client relationship. We serve clients from San Francisco and throughout the United States, as well as South America.