Chat with us, powered by LiveChat

What U.S. Persons Have to Know about International Taxes

Globe and Dollar Bills - International Taxes for US Citizens

If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien, you know that two things are certain in life: death and taxes. As a U.S. person residing abroad, you may think you are exempt from filing U.S. taxes. But as every international tax attorney Washington DC can explain, your worldwide income is subject to U.S. income tax, regardless of where you actually live. That’s the first and most essential piece of information about international taxes for U.S. citizens.

This article will present the basic information you should know as a U.S. citizen or resident alien with foreign financial income and/or assets. The information presented in the article is not intended as legal advice. For legal advice on international tax, contact a trusted international tax attorney.

When to file my U.S. income tax?

The due date for filing tax return can differ for calendar year taxpayers and U.S. persons residing abroad. Namely, the due date of tax return for calendar year taxpayers is April 15. By contrast, U.S. citizens, resident aliens, and military on duty outside the U.S. are entitled to a 2-month extension. The extension is automatic, meaning that U.S. persons residing abroad don’t have to request the extension; instead, they can file their return until the 2-month extension due date – June 15 for calendar year return.

Nevertheless, all U.S. taxpayers who are allowed the extension still have to pay interest on the tax they do not pay by the regular April 15 due date of the calendar year return.

An additional extension can be requested for taxpayers who are unable to pay their taxes by June 15. They would have to file Form 4868 before the date of the automatic 2-month extension. As is the case with the automatic 2-month extension, any taxes paid after April 15 will incur interest.

Where to file my U.S. tax?

U.S. citizens and Green Card Holders (resident aliens) who live outside the U.S. should mail their tax return to the IRS Service Center in Austin, TX. As for estimated tax payments, they should be mailed to the IRS in Charlotte, NC. Both addresses can be found here.

Can I file electronically?

If you are a taxpayer with an Adjusted Gross Income, you may be able to file your return using IRS free file. This is an option if you are a taxpayer with an AGI within a specified threshold. If your AGI is greater than the specified threshold, you can purchase a commercial software for e-file to accommodate your foreign address or file through Free File Fillable Forms.

Where to get help with international taxes for U.S. citizens and Green Card Holders?

If you need assistance with international tax, you should contact the IRS Office in Philadelphia by phone, fax, mail or email. Email is often the most convenient means of communication for many U.S. taxpayers living abroad, but it is worth noting that it’s intended only for general questions about international tax, and not individual tax accounts. The IRS also advises contacting the Taxpayer Advocate Service.

However, if you have been involved in a tax controversy or have any issues with filing your tax return, the best thing to do would be to contact a licensed international tax attorney. You should look for online reviews and ask for recommendations from friends and family who live in the U.S. They are sure to know a reliable tax lawyer serving their area.

Brunoro Law is a reputable tax law firm specializing in international tax. The principal attorney Paula Brunoro-Borokhov is fluent in English, Spanish, French and Portuguese, so you can have the added advantage of communicating in your native tongue. Tax issues are fairly complex, and it takes an expert, experienced and compassionate tax attorney to walk you through it, in addition to providing stellar legal representation. Besides tax controversies and litigations, attorney Brunoro-Borokhov can assist you with tax planning and offshore disclosures.

For reliable information and guidance on international taxes for U.S. citizens, contact Brunoro Law today.



Tagged with:

Posted in: Tax Planning, Uncategorized

Leave a response